Written by Thomas Scott
December 15th, 2017
There is a reason the North Carolina A&T Aggies went undefeated during the regular season. Simply put, this team is extremely talented. 12 Aggies were recently named first team All-MEAC. That’s half of the first team for the entire MEAC conference! If you haven’t had a chance to watch the Aggies this season, make sure you look out for these impact players during the Celebration Bowl.
- Quarterback, Lamar Raynard- Lamar Raynard is in the midst of a historic season. The 6’4, 200 pound quarterback has shattered a handful of single season records at North Carolina A&T. Most notably Raynard broke two more than 30 year-old records for touchdown passes and touchdowns responsible for (29). In addition, Raynard is a finalist for the Deacon Jones Trophy, an award given to the top HBCU player in the nation.
- Wide Receiver, Elijah Bell- Bell is the definition of a BIG play receiver, literally. At 6’1, 221 pounds Bell has become one of Lamar Raynard’s favorite targets. The sophomore has been an impact player from the jump. Bell recently earned his second first team All-MEAC selection with regular season totals of 54 receptions, 858 yards, and 11 TD’s.
- Running Back, Marquell Cartwright- Cartwright had the seemingly impossible task of replacing Tarik Cohen. When Cohen went on to be drafted by the Chicago Bears, many wondered if the Aggies could replace his production. Cartwright silenced all of those critics by rushing for 1,080 yards and 13 touchdowns this season. He has tremendous speed and is a threat to score anytime he touches the ball.
- Defensive Back, Franklin (Mac) McCain III- YOU DO NOT WANT TO THROW TO McCAIN ISLAND. McCain isn’t just a shut down corner in the pass game, he also is a great tackler. He may have made the most impressive debut of any freshman this season. In his first four games he recorded 27 tackles, five interceptions, and three pick-6’s.
- Linebacker, Jeremy Taylor- Coach Rod Broadway’s description of Taylor is all you need to know. When asked why Taylor was named to the first team All-MEAC Broadway said, ” Jeremy’s a playmaker. I don’t know man, he just makes plays all over the place. Let me repeat myself. He makes plays, he makes plays, he makes plays.” This season Taylor recorded 65 tackles, 3 forced fumbles, and 5 interceptions.